Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas Wishes - The Aftermath

Welcome back, suckers. Despite the fact that I went 27 hours without sleep, almost ate a piece of sausage bread that had a toothpick in it, and got blueberries thrown in my face by a two year old, I had a perfectly marvelous Christmas. I got my August: Osage County tickets. Front row center. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself. It's gonna be massively intense to be up that close. The plate breaking scene should be fun. In addition to that, I also got:

Four DVDs
Kickass heels that I am going to wear whenever I possibly can
Binder for my massive collection of Playbills
In the Heights sheet music
A hairdryer that could probably blow my eyes out of my head
And, my very favorite peresent, aside from the A: OC tickets..... Here he is, boys! Here he is, world!

Preeeeesenting, in person, that ten inch bundle of dynamite - Mr. Leonidas S. Snuffletubs! The S stands for Sarah Palin. I named him myself. Anyway, Mr. Snuffletubs sings "The Lonely Goatherd" from The Sound of Music, complete with a key change. He sounds suspiciously like Rebecca Luker, but he gets very offended if someone brings it up. His biggest dream is to play the Emcee in Cabaret. Patti LuPone scares him. He thinks I'm freaking hilarious.

Now, as you may recall, I also asked for a time machine for Christmas. My main objective was to go back in time and see Cabaret, but I also wanted to correct past wrongs and do good deeds and stuff like that. I put it on my list, but John McCain got the last one. (Please, PLEASE tell me you got that...)

So, today something previously thought to be impossible happened: I found a Sondheim work that I don't like. In fact, I pretty much hate it. It's Sunday in the Park With George. Aside from having one of the most obnoxiously long titles in theatre history, it tumbles into a pitfall I thought Stephen Sondheim was immune to: All the songs sound the same. It's very vague and confusing. I've been told that I don't "get it." That makes me feel supremely stupid. I recognize that it's one of those "challenging" musicals, and you've got to analyze it to understand it. I've also been told that it's an acquired taste. Maybe it is, but I won't be analyzing it anytime soon. For now I think I'll stick with Sweeney Todd and Follies.

No comments: