Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Revelations

Welcome back, suckers. As we all know, I am quickly spiraling into an all-out Hair obsession. It's been a while since a show affected me as much as this one. I've only ever had two obsessions in my life, and two is enough for anyone. My Spring Awakening days were bad, folks. I would stay up at night and just listen to the CD on repeat for hours. It stayed like that for an entire summer, and I can honestly say I've never been so happy in my life. Spring Awakening will always be my favorite, the closest to my heart. But the Spring is over. (Ironically, there was a snowstorm the night the show closed. How deliciously appropriate. I got sick from that. This was back in the day where you could cough or sneeze without someone thinking you have the swine flu.)

It's been a fun three days. I've had flowers woven into my hair, danced on a Broadway stage, and watched a bunch of hippies list the names of more drugs than I knew existed. But it's not a perfect piece, as I'm starting to realize. The trip sequence in the second act drags on. Gavin Creel is absolutely nothing special. Dear Allison Case, I would take it as a great personal favor if you could learn to act without using your hands. Love, Me. I stand by my belief that the show should end in a blackout, not a fadeout. And, um...that's it.

Anyway, I've spent the past two days scouring Youtube for Hair-related videos. That is Symptom No. 1. Other symptoms include irritability, nausea, and vomiting. I am aware that they are also side effects of "Zoloft and Paxil and Buspar and Xanax, Lexapro, Klonopin, Ambien, Prozac..." I cannot help it if I am listening to Next to Normal at the moment. But whatever. Anyway, I am slowly learning cast names and faces, though there are like twenty-nine in all. My favorite cast member used to be Allison Case. However, it only took two days for the cutesiness to get a little grating. (For the record, not all redheads are fun to be around. I know a few who are pretty damn annoying.)

That said, I have two favorite cast members so far.


My first favorite is Will Swenson. His performance as Berger ranks as the best performance by a guy that I've ever seen. (Suck on that, Boyd Gaines!) Come to think of it, Berger may be one of my favorite theatre characters, right up there with Sally Bowles and Mrs. Lovett. Wow. Who'da thunk?
This wild-haired, flower-holding, pregnant-woman-playing lassie is Kacie Sheik, and she is my second favorite. She plays Jeanie, the hippie who, and I quote, "got knocked up by some speed freak." One of my favorite moments in the play was when she found out Claude had been drafted. Immediately, she turned around to hug Crissy, and the look on her face was one of fear and devastation. Marvelous. She is also the younger sister of Duncan Sheik. Her brother wrote the music for Spring Awakening. She is related to the man who is responsible for My Junk, Touch Me, and The Bitch of Living. Your argument is irrelevant.

No comments: