Saturday, November 27, 2010

Andrew Jackson

Saw Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson last night. I have to say, they've done a superb job converting the Jacobs. Only problem is I'm not exactly sure what they converted it into. The show is bloody and it does feature Andrew Jackson, but I don't know how anyone could have missed telling me how BORING it is. I'm being a little harsh here. I had fun for a while. Once he actually became president, though, it was slow and painful death brought on by girls kissing for no reason and jokes about John Calhoun raping crippled children twice. And Emily Young has scary eyes.

Let's not condemn the show. I enjoyed myself, I really did. I remember thinking in the beginning of the show that it was like being raped from the seventh row of the mezzanine. In a good way. When it's not trying so desperately hard, it can be very funny. For instance - two Jackson supporters yelling out earnestly "WE WANNA FUCK YOU!" They then turned to the audience and said something else that immediately killed the joke. Damned if I can remember what it is. And, okay. Watching people get shot with pretend arrows is only funny the first eight times. Then it just gets dull. Lobotomy dull. Lobotomy-no Tony nom for you Ben Walker-dull. Yeah. THAT kind of dull. BBAJ was the only show I've ever seen where the audience did not stand at the end.

So lately I've been attempting to read plays that AREN'T written by Williams or Miller. So far I've hit Come Back, Little Sheba and am currently slogging through Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and loving it. Why oh WHY was Bette Davis not cast as Martha in the movie?

1 comment:

Marisa said...

I just realized... that's the first show I aw that there was a standing O at least at the end of the Curtain Call.