Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Little Women

Welcome back, suckers. Notice the date. It is a red-letter date. If I knew how to change the color of the post titles I would make today's red, to highlight the fact that today is a red-letter date. Today is, in fact, the four-year-anniversary of my first encounter with the show that was, up until a year and a half ago, my favorite: Little Women. Even though it's been a while, this one's still pretty close to my heart. Four years ago tonight, on Friday, March 4, 2005, I sat in the first seat of the right section of the first row of the mezzanine at the wonderfully orange Virgina Theatre, which is now called the August Wilson. It was my first show in nine years. I can honestly say, with no exaggeration, that it changed my life. The show itself was really not that good, as I realized a year or so later, but it opened up the entire world of theatre to me. I saw that show five times, three times on Broadway and twice on tour. I actually saw it twice in one day, as ashamed as I am to admit that. Like most of my favorite shows, this was a no-holds-barred flop. But just because a show flops, it doesn't mean it's bad. Ragtime flopped, and that was a brilliant show. The original Sweeney Todd flopped. Grey Gardens flopped. SIDE SHOW was the third biggest flop in history. (I actually just got down on my knees under the piano and went through all my sheet music to list these shows. You're welcome.) And, inevitably, Next to Normal will flop. None of these shows were actually bad, with the exception of SIDE SHOW'S terminally weak lyrics. Anyway, I just posted today in order to pay homage to the show that sparked my interest in theatre.

With spring coming up, it's bringing a lot of important anniversaries and special days with it. I'm not gonna dedicate an individual post to every single one, so I'll just lump them together in this one:

March 4, 2005 - discovered Little Women
March 8, 2008 - discovered SIDE SHOW by accidentally downloading the entire CD
March 9, 2008 - discovered Next to Normal, hated it
March 15, 2007 - discovered Sweeney Todd
March 20, 2008 - Spring Awakening at Good Morning America
April 2, 2005 - second time seeing Little Women
April 29, 2007 - last visit to Hairspray
May 18 -2008 -third and favorite visit to Spring Awakening

No comments: