Tuesday, October 13, 2009

And Everything was RAGTIME

No verdict yet on the O'Malley vs. Sense of Self Worth case. But today is October 13. To bastardize some Ragtime lyrics - "And then were only ten days to go!" I don't know yet when I'll be able to see it, but I'll be god-damned if I don't go. I don't think I've ever been quite so excited to see a show. Well, that's not entirely true. After a summer of waiting and anticipating, I was practically busting down the door to get into Spring Awakening. Still, I am nonetheless jumping out of my skin.

Even the Prologue alone is a work of art. That little piano theme, the "bah dup bah dup bah da da" that repeats itself throughout the whole show, is ingenious. What a Game is hilarious and Wheels of a Dream is heartbreaking, and Atlantic City is utterly hummable. Just some of the gems from a score that knocks it out of the park.

Before I go, I thought I'd mention that Next to Normal is actually beating Hair percentage-wise. I hope Hair can hang on, but go, little sleeper hit, go.

No comments: