Monday, October 13, 2008

The People Called It...

So I bought a new cast album today, folks. Not really a big event. I buy albums almost every other week. The choice for today was a show that I didn't really know that much about, but, sweet God, I know a lot about it now. Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages, I give you...Ragtime. Yes, it is really good enough to require my complete dramatic vaudevillian introduction. Apparently, it was playing around the same time as my precious SIDE SHOW. Neither did very well: SIDE SHOW because it was about Siamese twins, and who wants to see a show about that, Ragtime because it's producers were corrupt, and who wants to sit through a show while worrying that at any minute Tony Soprano could burst into the theatre and pump your sorry carcass full of lead? So I listened to the album, and, children, mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord. Glory, glory, halle-freaking-lujah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7esLjR_O3SI Here's a clip of their Tony performance, the night they were robbed by the piece of corporate crap that is The Lion King. I still say that the Tony that year belonged to SIDE SHOW, but this comes in as a close second. Listen to the lyrics. "Beggar and millionaire/everyone everywhere/moving to the Ragtime." That is pure genius! You can't top that, unless your name is Stephen Sondheim.

Hmm, let's see what other gems I can dredge up for you to sample....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFVWA6dNMHk "Our Children", one of the best songs in the show, hold the cheesy, gold-tinted video of two young whippersnappers frolicking in the sand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBQNed6Zdmk "New Music." Yet another example of brilliant lyrics. "Just like that tune/simple and clear/I've come to hear/new music." Not as good as the lyrics in the first video, but still pretty damn good.

Just a warning if you watched the video: You have willingly subjected yourself to one of the catchiest tunes in the history of catchy tunes. You are now doomed to spend the next three weeks walking around humming "da da da da da Ragtime." Perhaps I should have warned you beforehand.

No comments: