Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Know It's Today

I'm warning you now, folks. This one's gonna get sentimental. It's now 9:30 in the morning. I have been up for the past six hours. I went to bed at midnight and then woke up at two, shaking. It's today. I don't know how the time went by so fast, but it's today. I just looked out the window, and it's snowing. Honestly, that shouldn't surprise me for two reasons. A) It's freaking January. B) It's either rained or snowed every single time I've seen this show. I am nowhere near ready to go tonight. I don't even WANT to go anymore. Okay, that was a lie. I still want to go. But I'm dreading it. I know some people slept in the freezing street last night to try to get tickets, and two of the chorus girls bought them all pancake breakfasts. (Thankfully, I'm not THAT far gone yet.) Nine and a half hours to go. It's getting ugly out here, children. Consolation comments would be perfectly marvelous right about now. And cream puffs. I like cream puffs. I'm not really in ultra-panic mode yet, but I'm rapidly spiraling toward it. Right now I'm just grateful I'm sitting here all warm and cozy in my peguin pajamas and clutching my marvelous seventh row seats, not freezing out in the snow on 49th Street and clinging to the faint hope of seats in the rear mezzanine. (For the record, I happen to love the rear mezzanine, though the ushers up there are moderately snippy.) There are dozens of things that I should be doing right now, but I'm gonna let them go for a day. I feel like I'm breaking up with someone, or moving out. Or both. All morning I've been packing things away, looking at old pictures, reminiscing, and trying my absolute hardest not to cry. I am hoping that tonight is going to be brilliant enough to rival the legendary May 18, which is truly the most fun I've ever had in my life. That is remotely depressing, but whatever. I'm fairly certain I will miss this show tremendously, but we won't know till it's gone, now, will we? Once it's gone, my new favorite show will be August: Osage County, and I don't think that will be around for much longer. And once THAT'S gone all I'll have left is In the Heights, unless the SIDE SHOW revival actually happens. (You people don't know how happy I would be if SIDE SHOW came back.) Here's to Spring Awakening. May it go out with a bang. And here's to the Bush Administration. May it just GO.

No comments: