Monday, February 16, 2009

Brilliant News

Breaking my own rule and posting twice in one day. Guess what's coming to Broadway, guys. Guess, damn it! NEXT TO NORMAL!!!! I am so excited I am practically about to jump out of my skin. I am fully cognizant of the fact that getting excited over this makes me a loser, but I'm beyond the point of caring about that. Next to Normal is coming to Broadway. Pills, electroshock therapy, and hallucinations of departed children are coming to Broadway. Alice Ripley is coming back to Broadway. Disclaimer: The fact that the show features a shirtless Aaron Tveit has absolutely positively nothing to do with why I love it. Ya hear? Nothin'. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Nil. Nada. Admitting to the fact that I love that scene would put me on level with the fangirls who obsess over the nudity in Spring Awakening. You know who you are. But anyway. I am absolutely ecstatic that the show is coming to Broadway. Of course, the creators have basically cut every song I loved - Costco, Feeling Electric, Growing Up Unstable, etc., but it's still a great show. The Best Actress in a Musical category is filling up fast this year, and now I know who I'm backing. I'm calling it now - Sunday, June 7, 2009. The Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical goes to Alice Ripley. I'm fully prepared for this show to be a big fat flop. Musicals about mental illness are destined to have a hard time finding an audience. But it's been done before, and with more risky topics. (A crazy barber who slits people's throats? Really?) This is one show I'll be rooting for, and just between you and me:










beats the hell out of

No comments: