Saturday, February 14, 2009

Feeding the Addiction

I done a bad thing, folks. For Valentine's Day (and Cupid can go chase himself for all I care), I got a Ticketmaster giftcard. Well, I knew right away what I wanted to go see. I think we all know by now what my favorite show on Broadway is. Make no mistake, I am an August: Osage County fan. I am totally over the moon for this pill-popping, plate-smashing, cousin-loving play. The three hours I spent in the first row of the Music Box went by incredibly quickly, and by the time it was over, all I wanted was more. Not unlike the play's main character, I was hooked. But here's the thing, people: I am a Guilty One first. I'll probably always be a Spring Awakening fan, and the effects of that are pretty much in my DNA by now. Seeing the new marquee for 33 Variations up at the O'Neill cut me deep, folks. Cut me real deep. I went online with every intention of scheduling a return visit to August to watch Violet and Barbara destroy their family once again. However, just as I was picking a day to go, the Guilty One in me came out again. The little devil on my shoulder started saying, "Who the hell goes to see a play with lines like, 'Eat the fish, bitch!'? Come on, you know what you really want to see. Screw variety. Being a well-rounded theatre-goer is grossly overrated. One more time won't hurt." So, throwing caution to the wind, I went and got tickets to see Spring Awakening at the Kennedy Center in DC on August 1. I am not proud of what I have done, but I sure as hell am excited. I've never been to Washington DC before, and this is as good an excuse as any to go. I have to admit, though, I'm a tad nervous about the location. I know damn well that this show blew the roof off the tiny Eugene O'Neill Theatre on many a night, but whether it can do that in the massive Kennedy Center remains to be seen.

Anyway. Since it is, after all, Valentine's Day, I think I'll finish up with my favorite Broadway love song, even though it sounds moderately creepy out of context. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfDCHxkvsdk

No comments: