Monday, June 22, 2009

The Untitled Post

Well, folks, the sun is shining for the first time in weeks, Next to Normal and Hair are doing wonderfully, on Sunday I'm going back to Osage County, and June is just busting out all over. If I sound like Blanche DuBois it's because I just finished watching Streetcar. God rest your soul, Vivien Leigh, you were brilliant in every sense of the word. This is gonna sound creepy, but I truly consider her to be the most beautiful, talented women who ever lived. Top honors in the Beautiful and Talented Men category goes to Marlon Brando. Put them together, and you have an absolutely unbeatable pair. Sorry this picture is so huge, but I didn't want to shrink it. This must have been a picture they took while they were filming Streetcar.

Somehow I'd never seen it before I started searching for pictures to spice up this post. This is a great one. From bottom to top it's Leigh, Brando, Kim Hunter, and Karl Malden - one of the best examples of ensemble acting I have ever seen.

But I did not come here just to discuss the marvels of A Streetcar Named Desire. No, I have such a vast and varied wealth of things to chat about today that I simply could not think up a name for this post. Hence the reason this one's gonna be called "The Untitled Post." Hmm... let's see. I could tell you all that I'm currently listening to Lot's Wife on full volume. Caroline, or Change was a great show, and Lot's Wife is a great song. It's the Rose's Turn of the new millennium. I'm not kidding. It's one of the best breakdown songs. Lord, the breakdown song is my absolute favorite type of musical theatre song. There are just so many wonderful ones. You may have noticed by now that I don't really go for comedy. Drama is where it's at. I love those theatrical moments that grab you by the throat and slam you back against the seat, and there's no better way to do that than via a breakdown song. I have so many favorites - Lot's Wife, The Ladies Who Lunch, Cabaret, and Rose's Turn are among them.

Now on to the next pressing issue. August: Osage County is a vastly quotable play. But I think there are some lines that don't get nearly enough love. I mean, sure, everyone loves "Eat the fish, bitch!" and "I'M RUNNING THINGS NOW!!" and "The world is round. Get over it." and "This madhouse is my home.", but what about "You're about as sexy as a wet cardboard Mattie Fae."? No love for that? I also like "Well, genocide always seems like such a good idea at the time," and "We f*cked the Indians for THIS?" and, of course, "You don't wanna break shit with me, muthaf*cka!" I think by now we're all aware of my love affair with this line. I'm not kidding when I say that I want that to be my epitaph. I am going to silently cheer to myself on Sunday when that lines comes up.

Next on the docket: Apparently, LuPone went off on an unsuspecting texter in her Vegas audience last night. According to one Broadwayworldian, she stopped the show to unleash a rant that culminated with her saying, "I scared the shit out of you, didn't I?" Yes, Patti. I'll wager you did. I would love to be at one of the shows where she flips out on someone but I'm terrified. I mean, I know it's rude to text or take pictures during a show, but this is getting a little out of hand. She's having freak-outs left and right these days, it seems. And her devout fans are egging her on. "Yeah, Patti. LuPwn that bastard. Show him who's boss." Sorry, but I'm not of the camp that fall over each other to congratulate her when she stupefies another audience member. What ever happened to class?

Finally, I love this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_-eWpbZ2AY&feature=related It breaks my heart that Brynn O'Malley was out the day I saw Hairspray.

No comments: