Friday, July 31, 2009

Ain't Got No Glasses

Okay, folks. This is not the announcement I was talking about, that will come later. But it's something just as utterly earth-shattering. In an hour I'll be off to get new glasses. Please hold your applause. Yes, I am proud to count myself among the visually impaired. We're a proud bunch. And I'm not buying into the contact lens fad. I love my freaking glasses. Blanche DuBois wore spectacles for approximately a minute and a half in the movie version of Streetcar. That's reason enough for me.

My current pair is gonna be hard to part with. Because of them I've made it through some wonderful times without bumping into anything or mistaking anybody for someone else. My lovely specs helped me see:

Next to Normal
Spring Awakening
Gypsy
Spring Awakening
In the Heights
Gypsy
In the Heights
August: Osage County
Spring Awakening
Shrek
Guys and Dolls
Phantom
Hair
Next to Normal
August: Osage County

I watched Obama get elected and inaugurated through these glasses. I went to Ocean City and Disney. I had two birthday parties. A good long life for a pair of spectacles, I'd say.

No comments: